Saturday, April 15, 2023

Living Waters Evangelism



Some churches and folks are negative towards the Way of the Master evangelism method. But I think if you review this you will see their opinion is misplaced and in error.  We can benefit from learning what Scripture teaches, use methods for icebreakers and to steer the conversations, even short ones, to share the gospel. [Most people are familiar with the 10 Commandments and so it is usefully used as a springboard to talk about Sin.] Of course you can have more in depth discussions in convos if people you speak to have or make time for it, and if they are open to it. But the majority are only interested in short conversations. So make the best use of that time ...and if a WOTM gospel presentation is the best for that opportunity, use it. Just like tracts, those are useful to reach many in a short time, and short convos show you cared enough to discuss eternal matters with them. 

Some people run off during a convo because their bus arrived, or ride showed up. That has happened to me before. The short convo has helped get them thinking, and handing a tract as theyre leaving helps finish that discussion, as they read it in the car. 


You may run into people, even pastors, who dont like WOTM, but if they hold that view, they really dont grasp it. Pastor John MacArthur had several interviews, discussions and statements on WOTM and it was positive. So, to get balanced thoughts on this, review  this series discussion to help bridge the gap between way of the master training and incorporating other ways as well. Regardless, you have ways to get trained to share the gospel now, that were really unheard of in the majority of churches in the West and globally until WOTM showed up. It was instantly broadcast in 190 countries on tv since around 2003 and has blessed "the church" immensely since. 

*Theres more info further below as well...

Discussion link topics
 Use the below jumplinks to each post as some pages do not have easy to locate "next" link to the next part of the series articles, and some posts dont have any jumps to these at all. 👇

Links:
John MacArthur and Kirk Cameron interview 
(424,000 views as of June 2023)

Jesse's respect for Ray Comfort  archive
https://thecripplegate.com/why-i-respect-ray-comfort/
https://web.archive.org/web/20230416232547/https://thecripplegate.com/why-i-respect-ray-comfort/


Strengths of Way of the Master. archive
https://thecripplegate.com/stengths-of-the-way-of-the-master/
https://web.archive.org/web/20230416232445/https://thecripplegate.com/stengths-of-the-way-of-the-master/


Opinion about Some concerns  archive
https://thecripplegate.com/concerns-with-the-way-of-the-master/
https://web.archive.org/web/20230416232337/https://thecripplegate.com/concerns-with-the-way-of-the-master/

Thomas Schreiner on the idea of dividing the Law into thirds.  archive
https://thecripplegate.com/schreiner-the-threefold-division-and-the-law-of-god/
https://web.archive.org/web/20230416232220/https://thecripplegate.com/schreiner-the-threefold-division-and-the-law-of-god/


Diff btwn Law of God and 10Commandments. archive
https://thecripplegate.com/evangelism-and-the-law-of-god/
https://web.archive.org/web/20230416232116/https://thecripplegate.com/evangelism-and-the-law-of-god/


Jesse on use of Law in Evangelism   archive
https://thecripplegate.com/10-commandments-and-evangelism/
https://web.archive.org/web/20230416025717/https://thecripplegate.com/10-commandments-and-evangelism/

Ray Comfort's Response.  archive
https://thecripplegate.com/the-way-of-the-master-responds/
https://web.archive.org/web/20230416025520/https://thecripplegate.com/the-way-of-the-master-responds/
Link Mayhue "Still Written In Stone" audio

John MacArthur Statement   archive
https://thecripplegate.com/john-macarthur-weighs-in/
https://web.archive.org/web/20230416023827/https://thecripplegate.com/john-macarthur-weighs-in/

Grace Evangelism course

On Dr Mayhue 
http://www.shepherdsconference.org/media/details/?mediaID=6783



"If anything that I have said or written over the past few weeks has led people to believe that I disagree in any substantive way with the above statement, then I chalk that up to over-emphasizing some things, under-emphasizing others, and on the whole not being as clear as I should have been." - Jesse Johnson 


Imo LW Law&Christ method is biblical and useful. We do not have lots of time with most people as we meet them in their coming and going and many dont stick around long. or give thick tracts anyone would read, to get to the heart of the matter in a short time. We do and must reveal SIN before Christ in the gospel presentation. But both are necessary. Repentance of sin is necessary, Christianity is a "repentant faith".  In our gospel witnessing encounter we want them to realize they need to repent of sin and trust in Christ. 

The way the series info is pointed out, its staying open to a deeper longer convo and time but most aren't willing to to give you the time for. Maybe over a future lunch or is something that can be explained much better in a person's 1st day in a discipleship class, after salvation. Some appropriate time and place to reaffirm and explain things deeper, so they get a fuller grasp on...you can expound then on what the above series is explaining then. But only if and when time allows. 

*Perhaps create a 10 min video to explain the gospel well and in depth, that you can refer them to look at. For me, the needGod.com gospel video does a pretty good job, and the one on the livingwaters website has a area below it that, in text, that goes into greater detail on the gospel. so I just use it. It's also linked to every page here. If you find a great way to blend the two in convos, use it. 

You'll understand better once you go through LW video and message on the gospel page, and read this series blog above. 

Livingwaters.com ministry has been a blessing to Christiandom, dont throw it away cuz someones opinion swayed you. Or because Jesse tried to find one last effort to bash WOTM before closing the discussion. Ray was very clear in his rebuttal "where" Jesse was wrong about his assumptions in many areas of what he took issue with. 

Take the useful parts of what you learned and go share the gospel. 

The reasons some Biblical churches dont use WOTM or don't care for it, is because of what the "series" explained from Jesses perspective. But gcc church outreach does in fact use LW method and a modified version is left up to individuals who are sharing the gospel; as should always be the case. They leave room for God's lead in conversations, that's fine. But there's great benefit in LW evangelism methods as it has many benefits to the one learning Evangelism, doing the outreach, and the unsaved/ hearer of the conversation.  John MacArthur even did an interview with Kirk Cameron on tbn and has given commendations and book Forwards to some of Ray Comfort's books. Solid preachers agree the use of the law, pointing out sin, is a important part of the gospel. 

The law is the schoolmaster to lead us to Christ. 

In closing,
I've been using the internet since 1996 back when very few had access or even knew of it. 

Prior to the internet, and prior to when it became norm in national usage (2012/15?)... I tried for years to figure out how to share the gospel irl and by website. It took 16-18 years before most had a computer at home or smart phone or even used the internet. Both in real life and online... It was hard to start such convos (like cold calls in person), and hard to know what to say. Most people never interacted about/ said what people freely say online (objections) about faith or God either. 


I had such a hard time in having or starting gospel convos prior to 2002, and when there was finally an Evangelism course in the church I was at, it had a bunch of information, but honestly still didn't help me with so many important aspects and how to go about it. I'm certainly not going to freak people out when I randomly walk up to them and say "so what happens after you die?" Like I'm a psycho. It seems the things churches came up with for engagement with the lost, are not useful as icebreakers or questions. I would run if anyone asked me the top ones used in that material. Especially if a random stranger approached me. I had no idea how to get a convo swung over to the gospel. It was very hard. It wasnt so much a fear but a how to make it work, was the problem. 

There had to be something different. Eventually God brought me to LW through a 2003 TV show I happened to click a channel to. I missed the first part of it; researched it up on the web. and finally found what I was searching for!! I went thru the new series (which took a few years to produce and go thru as it aired, but it's all avail to you now instantly and free). I was able to get over my fear, have things to talk about to springboard into the gospel, and had solid stuff to share as answers if anyone asked anything.

I literally finally found what I was looking for. And was able to do well in convos because I knew Scripture ...and like the Bereans, I knew this method was on track biblically. Sin must be exposed in order for the good news of Christ to make sense to sinners and see Him as greatly valuable, and to immediately receive (in obedience to the Gospel command).

20 years later i still use it and have been so thankful to God for that ministry. I still use their tracts and resources and enjoy their youtube channel and podcast now. 

I hope it blesses you too. 


Remember... we have a mission given by Jesus:

"We see something the world cannot see: the gospel. In it, God stopped the lion’s mouth and opened the Red Sea. Through the cross, death lost its power to devour, and the path of everlasting life opened up through the resurrection. Now we say with the Apostle Paul, “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!” " (2 Corinthians 9:15). - Ray Comfort


You can do it, and by God's power working in you, you will.



Related Resources
Objections to and Misconceptions about 'The Way of the Master'  scroll to see part 4 and 6

Final Clarity on the discussion